Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How to Make a String Doll

Here's a tutorial on how to make a string doll.


MATERIALS:
* scissors
* super glue
* Styrofoam
* yarn
* pins
* felt



Credit to the one who made this first image. This is where I first learned how to make a string doll. I just followed up to step 12 coz I had a hard time following steps 13-15. I studied it and created my own version on how to make the head. Once you are done with the step 12, cut the yarn and glue the end to the body to secure.

Here are the steps on how to make the head to designing the doll.

You will need a Styrofoam. Cut a small piece. It doesn't need to be circle.


Then start wrapping it with the yarn you used for the body. Make it tight.


Keep on winding it with yarn until it forms into a circle. Just spread the yarn evenly so it'll be in good shape.


Once it's big enough to fit into that loop you left when you created  the body, you may now insert it.




Don't cut the string yet, you will continue to wrap it around the head to secure it to the body.



If you think it's already big enough then proceed to wrapping the yarn to the body.


Then glue the end to secure. I used a super glue (mighty bond in particular). It's expensive but it's worth it coz it will stick fast and you will only need a small amount of it. You will need to glue the neck part so it won't move. Continue gluing the head to keep the yarn in place.


So here's your finish product.



Now let's proceed to my favorite part - the dressing up. I usually look for pictures to serve as a guide and inspiration. This time i used Nam from my favorite movie Crazy Little Thing Called Love.


Here's the doll:


After dressing up, we'll now make the hair.

You will use a black yarn this time. Wrap it around your hand or you can use a cardboard. It will depend on your desired length. Because Nam's hair is short, so I'm just using my hand.


Once you feel like it's thick enough, i don't usually count how many rounds i make, take it off your hand but make sure it's still in it's form.


Then tie it at the center. Make it very tight.


Then cut both ends.



Put a glue at the center then place it on top of the head.


Place it in front of the string you'll use for hanging the doll.


This will be your front.


This will be your back.


You will glue the back hair first then front. You might need to cut it to your desired length then style it. And here's our doll, I copied the style of the hair of Nam in the picture above.



Now we can add the eyes and the glasses to finish it. I used a pin for the eyes and glued it. For the glasses, I used felt.  Here's our finish product.



It won't be complete without P'Shone.


I also made an apple plush.



Here are  P'Shone and Nam. I super love them



Here are more pictures, with me and my string dolls. Enjoy!





If you have any questions, just let me know by commenting below. Hope this tutorial helps. :)

2 comments:

  1. yes, i actually sell my dolls on etsy http://www.etsy.com/people/maryrose710

    ReplyDelete